Obedience in Action

Another YouTube devotional I did, for 12th January 2021.

~~~

There is a lesser known parable in Matthew 21:28-32 that has always greatly challenged me. Jesus is talking to the chief priests and elders and says:

“What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’ ‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go. Which of the two did what his father wanted?”

“The first,” they answered.

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe in him, but the tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.”

This parable has always challenged me because I am quick to say I will listen to God, but sometimes slow to act. There are certain things God has been challenging me about for significant amounts of time, and though I agree that they are things I need to do there is a level of anxiety or discomfort attached to actually seeing them done that has slowed my progress to a crawl. If I keep resisting Gods voice, then can I say I am really obedient?

This becomes an even greater issue when the things God asks me to do are meant to express something of His character to others. We are Christ’s ambassadors, and as such people will judge God’s character based on us and our actions.

This is why James 2:26b says faith without deeds is dead, why 1 John 3:18 tells us to not love with words and tongue but with actions and in truth. This is why 1 Peter 4:8 tells us that love covers a multitude of sins, because even if our theology isn’t perfect, even if we make mistakes, our love, shown through actions that are obedient to the promptings of God, will allow His true character to shine through our brokenness anyway.

There is some level of sacrifice required to following God. We are called to lay down our lives and carry our cross the same way Jesus did. But that will not be possible as long as we hold our comfort as more important than obedience. It’s not about putting in a list of rules and regulations for ourselves to follow, but rather, being ready to obey in any moment God speaks, and in doing so, train ourselves to better hear his voice, and reflect his love.

One aim for myself this year is to work on my obedience to his calling, not because I must in order to fulfil my duty, but because I love him, and I want to better reflect that love. Perhaps you could join me in that challenge.

Blessings.

Comments